Supported file formats
Trimble Connect supports multiple 2D, 3D, and geospatial file formats.
Supported 2D file formats
2D files can be photos, text files, Microsoft Excel sheets, documents, or other similar files.
Supported 3D file formats
- IFC (2x3)
- IFC ZIP (.ifcZIP)
- IFC XML (.ifcXML)
- DWG (.dwg - AutoCAD 2013 and below)
- DGN (.dgn)
- STEP (.stp, .step)
- SKP (2021* and below)
- TC ZIP (.tcZIP)
- RVT (Revit 2019 and below)**
- Tekla (.tekla)
* The Sketchup 2021 model format currently only works when the models are uploaded to the project using Trimble Connect for Windows version 1.11. Otherwise, the model cannot be viewed in 3D. Note that if errors occur when you work with Trimble Connect for Browser, it might be necessary to manually retry the model conversion in Trimble Connect for Windows.
** Revit files can be added to the project on the project page in Trimble Connect for Windows, or using the Trimble Connect for Revit add-in. Note that the Trimble Connect for Revit add-in gives you more control over the views and other upload settings.
*** The Navisworks integration is still in Beta phase. This means that the NWC and NWD models can only be viewed in the 3D viewer, but not further managed. During the Beta phase, some models might not be rendered correctly, or some properties might be incomplete.
The 3D viewer does not work with Digital Project and CATIA formats because of changes in licensing agreements. As a workaround, you can export your models from Digital Project and CATIA to IFC format and then import them to Trimble Connect.
Supported geospatial file formats
- GDB (when compressed as .zip files)
- SHP (when compressed as .zip files)
- Geospatial .zip files
The file size limit when imported in Map Viewer is 40 MB, beyond which the files are supported in the read-only mode.
One .zip file should only have one type of geospatial files. For example, a .zip file having SHP and VCE files is not recommended.
Shape files may not be processed correctly if the coordinate system information in a .PRJ file cannot be matched to a known coordinate system.
Restrictions in file names
Due to certain operating system (OS) file name restrictions, do not use the following characters in file names:
- < (less than)
- > (greater than)
- : (colon)
- " (quotation mark)
- / (forward slash)
- \ (backslash)
- | (vertical bar or pipe)
- ? (question mark)
- CHAR. (Characters followed by dot)
- * (asterisk)
- .. (double dot)